Sunday, August 28, 2011

What matters?

Because it's happened to me I know it's happened to you. How? Because we are all connected. That's why nurses and doctors listen to you when your not well. That's why families gather around when your not well. That's why we are sad when someone we love is not well. That's why we get fearful when a Hurricane threatens our safety or a diagnosis threatens our wellbeing. It matters that we are okay.

Struggling with life and not feeling well can leave you disconnected because what's happening to you is scary. When I learned of my heart condition, I was overwhelmed with a grief that consumed my being and I thought of nothing more. The disconnect threatened my sanity. I isolated and there was no one else that mattered. I became a victim of my diagnosis.

Your diagnosis may be terminal or benign, you may or may not have pain, you may or may not have ability.  But, unless you have amnesia, you do have the ability to remember what matters. And, that is that we are all connected. You need only to remember.

Just think about the School Bus Driver who drives the kids to school, the Policeman who helps keep us safe, the Shopkeeper who sells the products we need, the Pharmacist, the Doctor, the Nurse, the Teacher, the Psychologist, the Trucker, the Garbage man, the Coach and the whole gamut of people who keep us connected. We all need each other and what one doesn't need today, they will eventually need one day.

In my darkest hours what mattered was that knock on the door when someone came to visit, that phone call asking how I was, the nurse who attended to me and the doctor who spoke of plans to heal me. What mattered was the looks of concern and caring. I recognized that no one, no matter who they were, wanted me to be sick. And, to you who are suffering, there is no one who wants you to be ill.

So, think about everything that matters to you and share that here so it may remind someone else who matters...

1 comment:

coachjen said...

Just beautiful , Michelle. Thanks for sharing your wisdom!