Monday, August 1, 2011

How do you cope with your circumstances?

This week my goal is discover how we, meaning everyone who comes to this site, can overcome the difficulties prevalent in life with grace and style while discovering within- that untapped source of strength and forbearance from which to call upon.

I have spent the last 11 plus years navigating through the results of a heart transplant trying to comprehend the hows and whys. On a daily basis, like me, people are dealing with issues that leave them shaken and lost. You wake in the morning with no hope, purpose eludes you, and in pain from not feeling well, what are you to do? Or, maybe you care for someone who feels this way, how do you cope?  With this bitter knowledge, you are still cognizant enough to understand that you are alive and have to function. Herein lies the challenge--the call for answers--the call for strength...

"How do we cope when it all seems pointless, too much, hopeless?"

The question consumed me for years and even now resurfaces only to remind me that I am still here, still breathing and still functioning. It took some time, but, one day a shift came. I decided to look at my circumstances as a challenge. I decided to accept the challenge and endeavor to find answers. I pretended I was watching a movie in which I was the primary focus. I had to write the script as I went. I became fervent and focused with my mission. As the forces of discomfort, medication, and disability tugged at me--I became fierce and loyal to myself and my goal. I found a reservoir of ability within and discovered its depth. And, when it didn't seem deep enough, I knew enough to pray. With pray, once again, awareness came.

Now, in my journey, there is only growth.

How about you, do tell....

3 comments:

Toz said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Cathy Priest said...

Well, here goes....

Cathy Priest said...

Shell, I will tell you that I am spontaneous if I have enough sleep.