Sunday, March 17, 2013

Grief and Loss

Last week, I wrote about  my feelings as I slowly lose my mother to illness and age. I told of finding solace through a walk and in nature. Looking back, I note that my meditative walks always bring me relief.  But yet, I am still very aware of the emptiness.

The feelings of grief and loss are universal. We all know them, feel them, and wonder what to do with them. We look for words and ways to overcome the emptiness and disruption it causes in our lives. If only there was a clearly defined way to address these feelings.

Yesterday, I attended a program on grief and loss. The speaker, David Underwood, LCSW, BCD, spoke about the phenoemon, the variety of losses experienced throughout a life cycle, approaches to coping, and how Adlerian Psychology applies. Among the many losses are, the loss of youth, death of a loved one, the loss of health, the loss of a dream, death due to suicide, loss of possessions, loss of hope, catastrophic losses, etc. He suggested that each individual's perspectives and experiences will effect how they cope. He talked about finding sources of strength, like in spiritual or religious beliefs, friends and family, groups, or professional services. Also, he discussed attaching meaning to losses with questions like: Is suffering always senseless or are we strengthened by the experience? Does everything happen for a reason? There was much more to the program all of which invites discussion and information.

I feel compelled to devote a series of posts to the topic of grief and loss. I invite responses and perspectives on the subject.







1 comment:

renee west said...

This post truly hits home for me. Losing our son Marcus back in 2001 to a lifelong disease was hard but I was thankful for his release from that debillatating disease. I was prepared for this loss (as best I could be) by returning to my spiritual roots. My higher power (as we say in Nar-Anon) is my source of strength. I definitely received strength during this tough time from my God and saw the same strength in my family as they helped me through this difficult time. It has made me stronger in helping others through their difficult times.