Sunday, April 22, 2012

Needs

Seems like we are always finding ways to meet our many needs. We look to others for advice and support. Like when we go to the doctor for something that ails  us. There is a litany of issues for the doctor to address as you quietly hope that he/she will provide that much needed answer along with a prescription for the cure. "Tell me doctor, how do I fix this?" Please tell me so I can stop the worry and uncertainty.

Yes, the uncertainty. All days are filled with it. I found it alarming to realize that the doctors didn't always have the answer. In fact, after 12 years post transplant, I know that it's all uncharted territory because there are no case studies to refer to. I am the case study, along with others with transplants. How do I relay the isolation that  ensues? That knowledge that you are on this path alone. Daily you live the turmoil of the side effects of the medication, the physical exhaustion that accompanies all movement, the incredible desire to be well, and the constant knowledge that you are broken and needy. You know that you cannot survive without your medication and you want so bad to be free of it. Managing life is a challenge.

I recognize that, even with all my medical issues, while on this path alone, so are you. I know that the doctor is just trying to make it easier to sustain life. I know that everyone holds onto to others for support and insight as they come to terms with their plight. I understand the emotions that result for those with a new diagnosis. I recognize the fear and unrest of the sick and the aging. It's more familiar to me than it is for the young and healthy, but, I also know that they, too, will experience it.

What is this life that finds us alone yet among everyone? How do we answer life's continuous beckoning to create and be? How do we compensate for what we don't understand? How do we understand God in this?

"Although the world is full of suffering...it is also full of overcoming it."

Who are we in this?












3 comments:

David said...

When we are adolescents, we often feel indestructible. As adults, we tend to be more aware of risks in our lives. Often I went to a doctor with physical complaints, only to be told that there appeared to be nothing to worry about. Invariably, it went away. Last year I went for tests and was told that I had a very serious condition. I had a severe problem with my neck that would require surgery to fuse together several disks in my neck. A second opinion was less dire, but still required physical therapy. Upon hearing the diagnosis, I suddenly felt like a bird with a broken wing. I felt vulnerable to injury. I've learned to live with this.
More recently,I had a matter of concern arise from routine bloodwork. This will require an unpleasant procedure. I can imagine getting a clean bill of health or a serious dignosis or even hearing that there is nothing that they can do to save me.
As we grow older, we bravely take care of ourselves with the knowledge that something may be happening inside of us that may cause us grief. I hope that, with the support of loving friends, we can all muster the strength to resist adversity.
As a child, I realized that when someone asks you how you are, you are supposed to say "I'm fine, thank you!" even if you feel awful. Ordinarily, no one wants to hear of your ailments. This site is a blessing for those who must continue to work to maintain the quality of life they deserve.
Michelle has walked the walk and is now talking the talk for those in need of a trained professional who has been there.

Anonymous said...

What works 100% of the time is that when we are faced with uncertainty, illness, sadness, despair, lack of money, loss of jobs, divorce, death of a loved one - in all these cases, we do know 1 thing for certain.

God has been through it all in Jesus Christ. He suffered the most horrible of torture, and did so willingly as fully man-God. He chose to accept the cross for all of us. Oh, and it was truly pain that he suffered, He was spat at, slapped, kicked, beaten, nailed to the cross. His flesh was ripped from his body.

so remember friends, Jesus our Savior is your friend. Call His name and he will answer you. He does truly understand. He was human, choosing freely to become man, with all of the same temptations. He was, however, the most perfect human = both in body and soul. He defeated the devil and all forms of sin, overcame death, cured illnesses of all kinds. If we keep the faith that Jesus has, we can concur all. So that in our sufferings, life, joy, sadness, and finally our own resurrection, we know we will be in a better place. Live the best life you can..accept your cross and call on your very own best friend, Jesus. You are NOT alone!

Your friend,

Carol

Judy said...

It sure does feel like we are in it alone at times but the more you share with others the more you find you really are never alone on any path and somewhere out there is someone who has or will go through the same or similar situation sooner or later. I appreciate it more and more as I experience life and the uncertainty of what lies ahead. Yet there is always hope and faith at the end of the day. Its waiting for me and holding me along the way. Hope it is for you too.
Judy