Sunday, December 18, 2011

A Winter's Walk

As I finished off another cookie, after eating a countless number of them, I sat back in my recliner and smiled as I gazed out the window on this snow covered December day. I thought to myself, how wonderful it is to be alive and enjoy the beauty that the season brings forth! The idea of comfort and joy filled my senses and I literally forgot that I ever suffered or that I ever would.

I, then, considered alternatives to the uncomfortable thoughts that I had been plagued with over the last few weeks. The thoughts, stimulated by the side effects of medication and remembrances of my transplant and neck fusion, had overcome my rational mind and allowed me to feel unwell and incomplete. So, I put on my long johns and a heavy coat and went for a walk that ended in a three mile jaunt! I was able to do it  because of my decision over twelve years ago to challenge illness. While recovering after the two life changing surgeries, I made myself, no matter how bad I felt, take a walk. The weather conditions didn't matter.  I told  myself that I was tough and I could do it.

There are many things in my life that I still need to overcome and do. I have been postponing change because of uncertainty. I am happy to know that this week I have several coaching sessions that will encourage me to continue pursuing my hopes and dreams. I keep my dreams alive as they keep me from yielding to what afflicts me.

On this winter's day I envision continued healing and moving forward undaunted, appreciating my many blessings. I thank a winter's walk for my renewed capability. It shall serve as a memory of comfort and joy and the resiliency of the human spirit.

I call upon you to take a winter's walk and create a memory of comfort and joy for yourself. Consider challenging what afflicts you. You deserve such a beautiful gift.

1 comment:

Renee West said...

I do appreciate your blogs and take the time to read each one. We all need to be reminded that we can overcome adversity by thinking positive thoughts or just change the way you think. Jim Rohn says, "You can't wait for someone to come by everyday and motivate you. What if they don't come by that day!" I am in favor of taking a winter walk.'