Sunday, July 21, 2013

Setbacks

To be whole, healthy, and complete. That is the goal. Yet, sometimes there are setbacks. I'm referring, specifically, to setbacks in one's health, although, any setback throws one off course. When it comes to health, there are many reasons why setbacks occur. Often, the reason cannot even be identified.

Before I received the diagnosis of cardiomyopathy, medical personnel said to me, " you look fine." Meanwhile, I was in heart failure! How often do you make a judgment about how someone is feeling when, in fact, you have no way of knowing?

Setbacks are a gift, for they inform. They let you know that something is wrong with the way things are.  It's important to go to the source, YOU, and think about why it's happening. That may entail seeking the help of a professional, but, you can be sure, that you have the answer, perhaps, just not the vocabulary or ability to define it. If in healing, you are separating the false from the true, what then, is the reason for the setback? What are you doing or not doing that may be contributing? What are your thoughts about your life, and how are those thoughts causing the symptoms? 

You are too important to let a setback keep you off course. Take charge. Health care challenges can be managed. What better way to heal then to ask yourself, what do I need to do to overcome this setback?
And then, just do it. 





2 comments:

Unknown said...

Michelle,
I am so impressed that your blog is constant - and I look forward to it! It always gives me something to think about and start my Monday with a revisit to my "heart!"
I am so happy that through all the setbacks you sometimes have - that you remain so positive!

Sending happy thoughts to you always,

Laurie

Unknown said...

Michelle you have always had that intuitive sense of knowiing what you need to do with your medication in relation to your symptom. Outstanding job!! Have a wonderful week. Karen