Sunday, April 7, 2013

A Flicker of Remembrance

I recognize that flicker in your eye, when your were remembering the times with your beloved. The laughs, the tears, the many conversations.

I remember listening to you speak about how Elisabeth Kubler-Ross's 5 stages of grieving gave you insight. You told me about the denial, then the anger, and how you bargainned with God. Then you were depressed for a time. Yet, you understood why your beloved had to go. So, that was your acceptance.

And, when you thought about the places you used to go, you'd pause, becoming distracted. A feeling of emptiness engulfed you as your thoughts swayed to and fro. A flicker of their presence. You told me it helped to read books about coping like, "I'm Sorry For Your Loss," by Lillian L. Meyers, Ph.D.

So, I thought I'd tell you, as I consider my loss, that I noticed a flicker in my eye today. I was remembering the laughs, the tears, and the many conversations with my beloved mother, who, just recently passed. I, like you, have those flickers of remembrance. I guess we all do.



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

With you in spirit... and so sorry for your loss...

There are no appropriate words.

It is so inspiring to me that -- even now, in your time of loss and grieving -- you have found a way to share, to give, to love, to live... and to inspire us to do so more fully.

Thank you, Michelle...

Unknown said...

Michelle.... I am so so sorry to know that you are going through this sad sad time.
I wish I could say that it will get better at some point, but I am not sure if we can ever get away from not wanting our mum... It'll be four years this year and I still feel the emptiness...
The only thing that gets me through those tough moments when I miss her is to pretend she's here and I'll do something she would have loved to do - like watch Fawlty Towers and eat pastries - and I swear sometimes I can hear her comments and her laughter.... Remembering is the next best thing - so keep remembering those little things - maybe write a small letter to her... I'm sure she's looking down and thinking how proud she is of you....
Thinking of you ... xx Laurie