Saturday, October 27, 2012

Should

Marketing guru Seth Godin wrote a blog on Saturday about getting rid of the 'shoulds' in your life. So, I decided to pay attention to all the 'shoulds' I use. I made a commitment to pay attention to my thinking and become aware of when I am using the 'should' language in my life. It didn't take long before I realized the frequency of 'should' in my thoughts.

Then, I became aware of the feelings I got when I used certain 'shoulds.'  I discussed many of these feelings with my coach, and realized there were some 'shoulds' that I didn't need and there were other 'shoulds,' that served me. In actuality, there are some 'shoulds' that keep me acting on the kind of life I want. Can you plan your 'shoulds' and be okay with them? Then, just get rid of the 'should's that cause unease or dissention internally? I believe you can.

I throw out a challenge to you this week. Take a look at your 'shoulds,' 'coulds,' and 'woulds' and see how they are affecting your life.  Are you planning their use strategically, or, are they your strategy? Talk to your coach and friends. See what your learn.

Should you do this?



No comments: