Sunday, May 6, 2012

Just thinking

     Decided to take a walk this morning because of the beauty of the day and to challenge some of the stiffness.  I started thinking about people who aren't well because of illness, depression, physical injury, or medication. Their causes vary, but the more pronounced the debilitating reason, the more severe the intensity. To always awaken with an issue...Yet, there's something magnificent about the resiliency of the human body.
     As my walk turned into a few laps around the track, I thought of a man I knew, an amputee in a wheelchair, who recently passed on. I recall coming home, after a very long, exhausting day, my hands overloaded with large bags of groceries and feeling as if I might collapse. Along comes this kind man, this amputee, who smilingly takes a few of the bags and with extreme skill and tenacity places the groceries on his lap, turns his wheelchair, and accompanies me to my door whereby he delivers me safety with a smile and few kind words of encouragement. At that moment, in the depth of my soul, I understood him through and through-- and, I understood the concept of a loving God.
    As I walk, I look and see a man walking, hunched over, as he tries to coerce his body into walking and enjoying the bright sunshine and the pleasant breeze.  I notice his crippled hands as he exclaims into a cell phone to someone, "I Love You?" I know he means it.
    I think about a coach I know whose recent success made her cry out in joy for she will be able to help over 100 people.
    I think about a man I know who, once vibrant and alive, has settled into depression.
    I recall sitting with a man dying of bone cancer who told me stories of his life and how it was a good life, but, mostly he spoke of the woman he loved and who cared for him. He sits and waits daily for her visits.
    I think of a dear friend who is facing a life threatening surgery and I when she speaks I hear her strong desire for a full life relieved from pain and suffering. She remains vibrant with her hope and faith.
    Today, I'm just thinking.
    What are you thinking about today?

2 comments:

David said...

Your post reminds me of a couple of people I know. I have a neighbor who is in his early 90's. I first met him about 10 years ago. I was walking down the street with a friend who was visiting me. Unlike me, she often would strike up a conversation with a stranger. She saw him working at a table in his garage. He invited us to come in. He was cleanng and painting peach seeds and turning them into key chains. He made mine into an owl! I believe I read that his wife died a few years ago. I still see him walking briskly down the street or driving in his car. He always waves and remembers my name! Regretably, I can't seem to remember his. I'd like to have his energy and optimism when I am in my 90's.
I also thought of a woman who enrolled in my college courses during the last semester. She is in her early 40's. She enjoyed a happy life. She worked for a local restaurant where she made good money because she was so good and well liked. One day, while carrying trays, she slipped and fell on her back. She was embarassed, and tried to carry on. She had to go home and rest. That was the last day she had without pain. She suffered intense and unrelenting pain. Later, she underwent back surgery which seemed to only compound her suffering. I met her as a student of mine. She was trying to complete college and find a new career. She worried about not being able to succeed because her medications made her feel woozy. She ended up earning an A. Watching her struugle was inspiring to me, because I was dealing with a spinal problem that was minor compared to hers. This semester, she sits in the front row an enjoys the good humor that is a part of the class. I can still see her smile show a trace of a grimace as she walks gingerly at times.
Sometimes people struggling with depression, pain or other health challenges confuse how they feel with how they are as a person. Because they feel sluglish or uncomfortable, they believe that others find them to be boring.
It is helpful to tell someone how much you enjoy being with them. Do it with a smile on your face and without being patronizing.
You can be caring and also acknowledge a persons fears of what might happen. Be positive without giving false assurances. Show genuine fondness without making them feel they are an object of your pity.
Your story of the amputee is inspiring. It is much easier to be the comforter of the afflicted than to be the afflicted. I hope that I could control the bitterness and show love for others.
If it is any consolation, I do believe that our struggles in life can make us stronger and wiser. I've seen people who have lead charmed lives fall to pieces when confronted with a crisis. They hadn't developed the coping skills.
Having said that, I do find myself wanting to post a note saying " You may stop now!, I think I'm strong and wise enough"

Michelle Wuyak said...

Thank you for your comment David. In way one or another I believe we all suffer. That is why kindness and empathy are so important. You are blessed with the ability to teach others and guide them toward their educational goals. How fortunate they are to have you as an instructor. Please continue to be a guiding light as you are loved and needed.
Be well,
Michelle